Friday, July 24, 2009

Mind the Gap

When I first saw this picture on the website: onlineaikido.com, I thought cool!


It reminded me of my travels to London and traveling via the Tube. It then made me think of this concept more generally as it relates to my Aikido training and life in general.

Wikipedia notes "Mind the Gap" is a warning to train passengers of the sometimes significant gap between the train door and the station platform. It was introduced in 1969 by the London Underground rapid transit system.

Some platforms on the Underground curve. Since the cars are straight, the distance from the platform to the car at certain points is greater and "mind the gap" is painted in capitals along the edge of such platforms. A recorded announcement is played when a train arrives, "mind the gap" repeated several times followed by "stand clear of the doors, please," and then "this train is now ready to depart."’

So you ask, how does this fit into my Aikido training…well, think about where you have potential gaps:

  • In stretching your hand and wrist during 2nd Control warm-ups

  • or controlling the wrist or elbow during Front Strike 1st Control Pin #1

If a gap exists:

  • Is there greater or less control in your technique? What happens if you increase or decrease the gap between you and your partner?

  • Are there any others that you can think of?

Do you experience gaps in any other areas of your life? If so, how are you addressing them or what actions are researching or taking to make your life the one you want?

Charles Bukowski wrote "What matters most is how well you walk through the fire."

1 comment:

  1. Great posting, John! I have a "Mind the Gap" sign above my door at home... you just can't escape it when you're in London, so I made it part of my American life :o)

    ReplyDelete