Thursday, August 20, 2009

Discipline at the Core, Creativity at the Edge

I came across this quote some time ago while watching a business presentation hosted by the University of Washington. It featured Robert Herbold, a former Chief Operating Officer at Microsoft Corporation, who discussed how profitability and agility can be achieved when businesses balance discipline with creativity.

The quote stayed with me more than what the presenter had to say in that it perfectly described the use of Kamae, Kihon Dosa and Kihon Waza as the basis for one's ability to study and further reveal a deeper understanding of the Aikido techniques in the Yoshinkan style.

It also struck a cord as to why a musician plays the scales to warm up or a painter starts with a color wheel, each using a core discipline to create their works of art. A solid foundation provides the basis for one to grow.

Often times I find returning to the core reveals the excitement of why I continue my study and training in Aikido; I realize I'll never fully know everything about Aikido or life, but that is the fun and challenge of enjoying what you do and continuing to learn and grow. As Carlos Castaneda said "you need to know if it is a path with heart. If it is, follow it."

No comments:

Post a Comment